Fighting Food Insecurity: An Artist's Contribution

Children go hungry in America every day, particularly in rural communities, where statistics show food insecurity to be as
high as 25%. This means up to one in four children in rural communities lacks nutritionally adequate food or the ability to acquire it on a daily basis. In one of the wealthiest countries in the world, this appalling statistic is unacceptable. But how do we mitigate food insecurity for children and its resulting effects on a child’s physical, mental, and social development? This project proposes to educate, raise awareness, and inspire and/or enable action by all stakeholders to reduce food insecurity, specifically for the children of rural America, through research-based charitable event signage and a children’s illustrated book. The expected result of these materials is that those who have resources to give will be inspired to do so and those who suffer from food insecurity will better understand where and how to get assistance, no matter their age.

To effectively accomplish this goal, I conducted research into the following: the definition and factors of food insecurity, food insecurity in rural America, the effects of food insecurity on children, reducing food insecurity for children, psychological factors for charitable giving, and designing with the intent to influence an audience.

Unfortunately, the recent COVID-19 pandemic has only exacerbated the situation due to supply chain issues, rising unemployment rates, and inflation. Therefore, we cannot delay in raising awareness and providing aid to the food insecure. My thesis project aims to do just that through illustrated story and printed signage.

Here are a few of the initial drawings for my graphic novel entitled, "Hunger," which will be completed for my final MFA thesis project. I am currently looking for donors or partners willing to help publish this book and get it into the hands of children and adults nationwide in an attempt to raise awareness and encourage change in a faltering system. Please let me know if you can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
I'm a freelance illustrator working in the children's book industry. I love kids and raising my own 4 children. They are the inspiration and the passion behind all I do in art and in life. See my website at JulieOlsonbooks.com

Blog Archive