Happy 108th Bday, Dr. Seuss!


Who didn't read Dr. Seuss Books as a kid? If you grew up in America, especially after the mid 60's, Dr. Seuss was pretty much a staple in every home or library bag. So, whether you think Seuss's books are great or not (I think he was a prolific genius), you have to appreciate his ability to speak to children and create a boom like never seen before in a market that was flooded with the adorable but boring Dick and Jane readers. He helped make kids "Wild about Reading."

I'll never forget the little rhyming phrases: "One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...", "Left foot, left foot, right foot, right...how many, many feet you meet," along with millions of others. They make you want to sing, chant, and even dance along to their quirky words and rhythm.

So go to your bookshelf, your library, or online and read your favorite Dr. Seuss book today. Maybe even light a candle on your PB&J and sing Happy Birthday to the children's book icon that is, Theodor Seuss Geisel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
I'm a freelance illustrator working in the children's book industry. I love kids and raising my own 4 children. They are the inspiration and the passion behind all I do in art and in life. See my website at JulieOlsonbooks.com

Blog Archive