DAY SIX: WRITING AND ILLUSTRATING A PICTURE BOOK

PHASE TWO: Step 3

3. CUT AND SLASH every word that doesn't move the plot forward. Watch out for too much dialogue or not enough action. Show don't tell. The descriptive words aren't usually necessary. When you use them, you confine the illustration. A picture book should need the pictures to tell the rest of the story. The words don't say it all. Keep your word count low. Picture books are for younger and younger kids these days. The story needs to fit onto 32 pages of a book (with the story starting on page 4 or 5) so make sure you have 14 scenes and the punchline page at the end. Break down your words into groupings with an extra line space when you want a page break.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
I'm a freelance illustrator working in the children's book industry. I love kids and raising my own 4 children. They are the inspiration and the passion behind all I do in art and in life. See my website at JulieOlsonbooks.com

Blog Archive