DAY FOURTEEN: WRITING AND ILLUSTRATING A PICTURE BOOK

PHASE FOUR: Step 3

3. WAIT AND WAIT AND WAIT: Give the editor at least 3 months to respond. After that, it is fine to call and ask them what they thought of your submission. They are VERY busy people...overworked and underpaid. But they love what they do and want to find good work. Just respect them and their time. If they have feedback for you, that is REALLY positive. Take it and make your work better. If they don't, that means they didn't even like it enough to try to help make it work. That doesn't necessarily mean your book is bad though. It could just mean it's not the book for that editor or publisher. But feel free to ask them specifically what you can do to make it better. Ask them if they ever see it working for their publishing house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
I'm a freelance illustrator working in the children's book industry. I love kids and raising my own 4 children. They are the inspiration and the passion behind all I do in art and in life. See my website at JulieOlsonbooks.com

Blog Archive