DAY TWO: WRITING AND ILLUSTRATING A PICTURE BOOK

PHASE ONE: Step 2

2. GET TO KNOW YOUR CHARACTER: Once I've settled on a problem and a character, I sketch and sketch that character in various moods and positions. I also try to write down everything I can about that character even if it won't show up in the story at all. I've got to get to know who the character is. So I write down habits, favorite color, favorite food, favorite toy or security item, something they can't live without, personality traits. Everything I can think of.

Here is an example of the sketching part of this phase...


No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
I'm a freelance illustrator working in the children's book industry. I love kids and raising my own 4 children. They are the inspiration and the passion behind all I do in art and in life. See my website at JulieOlsonbooks.com

Blog Archive